Skip to main content

Paints, Stamps, Thread and a Canvas Bag

Handmade mini canvas tote with only 2 minutes of sewing.  I love how paper looks when you sew on it onto any project. Watercolor paper is nice and thick and can take just about any thread you use on it.  Painting the canvas with some acrylic paint gives the fabric a little stiffness.  I took a large sponge brush (about 4" wide, the ones with the beveled edge).  I the held the brush on its side, pouring acrylic paint directly onto the sponge.  Then I took a paint brush to even out the paint on the sponge.  To take the brightness down a bit on the pink, I sprayed Walnut Ink onto a scrap surface and picked it up with a sponge.  Also stamped is the 1) Vintage Paris Eiffel Tower, 2) the oval (from Create a Cameo Stamp Set), 3) "Paris" text stamp from Fashion Tickets Set, 4) Damask background in the middle and our 5) Folk Vase Accent Rubber Stamp onto the pink canvas background.  Acrylic dries so quickly, especially on untreated canvas so I was able to stamp right after painting.


After stamping our French Perfume Label Rubber Stamp onto the paper with VersaFine black ink, I simply attached the paper with a basic straight stitch onto the canvas with a sewing machine.


The little yellow accent piece underneath the pink ribbon is our Fleur Motif Rubber Stamp on shrink plastic.  I colored in the stamped image before shrinking with a heat gun, the colors are more concentrated when they shrink.


I've always wanted to A) sew paper to fabric and B) make my own little tote (measures, 6.5" x 5" when complete) and C) use paint and ink in the same project! The hardest part of this project was deciding which stamps to use and the centerpiece and backgrounds.
-Susan

Popular posts from this blog

Journaling Techniques to Create a Card

​In this project, I combined some favorite journaling techniques to create a handmade card.  For those of you that do not create junk journals, that's ok because the processes, like watercolor paint splashes, rolling edges of the paper are used below make a very pretty card with many layers. I also include below a couple of tips on keeping your tools sharp and options for using different focal points. We use a center layout where everything is built around the middle line of the card. Embellish using the top left and bottom right with a background pattern of script in black ink gives the green center a nice contrast which is often seen in journaling. (The red flowers are watercolor designs that were inkjet printed.) You can use stickers of flowers just the same. The  ​Venus de Milo Rubber Stamp  is now available. It measures about 1.25" wide x 3.25" tall.  The oval frame is from our  ​Create a Cameo Rubber Stamp Collection .  You will notice, I used the top part of the Ve

Non-Halloween Stamps to Create Scary

  The dramatic effect of white embossing onto black paper doesn't just have to be done at Halloween. Here we used some unconventional stamps to create a scary tag with a base of black. While these stamps normally wouldn't be in the Halloween category, they end up somehow being perfect to create a scary tag. The best way to get a bright white look is by embossing with white powder. Embossing always comes out looking extraordinary and worth the extra effort. Above is our  Victorian Man Profile Rubber Stamp  embossed onto black chipboard. He'll make a great embellishment for a Halloween. (measures about 2 inch x 2 inch). A tree branch from our  Season of Joy Collection  is one of my favorite stamps. It expresses the beauty of nature in a simple way. Above, the branch stamp was embossed in Copper Powder onto black card stock. Our  Grunge Ticket Rubber Stamp  is seen above, embossed in white onto black card stock. The stamp measures about 3 inches tall x 1.5 inches wide. I love

IPhone Cover Decor

Since Xyron has a fabulous way of making anything into a sticker, I decided to create décor for the back of my cell phone case. Taking beautiful, damask patterned glitter paper from DCWV, 6x6 pad, 'The Glitter Basics" I cut out my iPhone 6s cover pattern using a template I created in plain white cardstock of my case.  To cut out the circle in the middle, I used an X-Acto knife.     The Scooter Rubber Stamp was embossed on red paper and cut out with scissors.  I smudged 'Claret' color StazOn ink around the edges.       After placing the scooter through the Xyron Creative Station, I placed it onto the iPhone pattern and ran both through together.  The Creative Station can take such thick items.  You will see below that I ran embellishments made from shrink plastic and it had no problem with them. One of the magical features of the Xyron's sticker makers is that the top of your project comes out unscathed.  You just peel the plas